If you have an event you’d like to share email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
- This event has passed.
Horton Plaza Park Tour
July 20 @ 5:30 pm - 6:30 pm
The Preservation Committee of AIA San Diego presents: Horton Plaza Park Tour
Thursday, July 20, 2017 @ 5:30-6:30 pm
$10 for AIA members & $20 for non-members. 1.0 CE/HSW.
Historic Horton Plaza Park, on 4th and Broadway, was recently restored to its original 1910 appearance.
The park was designed by famed architect Irving Gill and is best known for its iconic electric fountain. The marble, granite, and bronze fountain was partially dismantled and fully restored, including new pumps and dramatic LED lighting. Not only was the historic park restored, but it was tripled in size, creating a new 1.3 acre plaza to host over 200 events a year.
- Learn about the meticulous rehabilitation of downtown’s oldest park from the designers.
- See historic images of the park and photos of the restoration in process.
- Learn how custom terra-cotta pavers and missing historical features were recreated from old photographs.
- Hear about the creative partnership between Civic San Diego and Westfield Horton Plaza.
- Find out why the Gill fountain is so rare and unique.