AIA Codes Advocacy Program Considering ICC Code Change Proposals
AIA Members, we need your help!
The AIA Codes Advocacy Program is considering ICC code change proposals for co-sponsorship thru Sept. 22, 2017.
- What: AIA Codes Network members can propose code changes for the next ICC code development cycle
- Why: To encourage AIA members to get involved in the ICC code development process
- Who: Any AIA member interested in improving the I-Codes
- When: Submit your code proposal change to the AIA Code Advocacy Program by September 22, 2017 at the latest (earlier is always better!)
- How: Online via cdpACCESS and via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Questions? Contact Paul Karrer at email@example.com or (202) 626-2562
“As industry leaders and stakeholders, architects must participate in the development and application of appropriate regulations and standards intended to protect the health, safety, and welfare of the public.” – AIA Directory of Public Policies and Position Statements, April 2017
One of the core functions of the AIA Codes Advocacy Program is to participate in the development of construction codes that make the built environment and our communities safe, resilient, and sustainable. Given the widespread use of the I-Codes across the United States, the AIA actively participates in the International Code Council (ICC) model code development process. The results of this triennial effort will greatly influence the building codes adopted in the states and municipalities across the United States where you practice.
The AIA is developing code change proposals now. If you have improvements to the code you would like the AIA to consider co-sponsoring, send your code change proposal to us at firstname.lastname@example.org by September 22, 2017. We will review it and respond by November 10, 2017. AIA members whose proposals are not selected for co-sponsorship by the AIA Codes Advocacy Program are certainly welcome to submit their proposals directly to the ICC (details below) – on the behalf of yourself, your firm, and/or your state or local AIA component.
Before you submit your code proposal to us for consideration, please review the available information on the 2018/2019 ICC Code Development Cycle, including the full cycle schedule. Please note that January 8, 2018 is the deadline for submitting code change proposals for the Group A code groups to ICC. They are listed below (those not listed will be included in Group B, which will follow a similar schedule to Group A but in 2019).
2018 Group A code groups:
International Building Code (IBC)
- IBC Egress provisions. Chapters 10 and 11.
- IBC Fire Safety provisions. Chapters 7, 8, 9 (partial), 14 and 26. Majority of IBC Chapter 9 is maintained by the IFC. See notes.
- IBC General provisions. Chapters 3 – 6, 12, 13, 27 – 33.
International Residential Code (IRC)
- IRC Mechanical provisions in Chapters 12 – 23 and IRC Plumbing provisions in Chapters 25 – 33.
International Fire Code (IFC)
International Urban-Wildland Interface Code (IUWIC)
International Fuel Gas Code (IFGC)
International Mechanical Code (IMC)
International Plumbing Code (IPC)
International Mechanical Code (IMC)
International Private Sewer Disposal Code (IPSDC)
International Property Maintenance Code (IPMC)
International Zoning Code (IZC)
International Swimming Pool and Spa Code (ISPSC)
- Homepage/Login | Register an account | Create a new proposal
- cdpACCESS allows you to create code change proposals and public comments and store them in the cloud for easy access and submission. You can also invite colleagues to view, comment and collaborate on your proposals/comments. Once you log in, click on “Proposals,” then “Create New Proposal” to begin.
- Support: Email cdpACCESS@iccsafe.org or call (855) 422-2371
AIA Codes Advocacy Program Timeline:
- September 22, 2017: Deadline for sending your code change proposal for possible co-sponsorship to the AIA Codes Advocacy Program – Email us at email@example.com.
- November 10, 2017: AIA Codes Advocacy Program staff will notify AIA members whether or not their proposal(s) were selected for co-sponsorship.
- January 8, 2018: Deadline to submit all code change proposals to ICC online via cdpACCESS.
If you have any questions about this process, please don’t hesitate to contact Paul Karrer at firstname.lastname@example.org or (202) 626-2562.